Daniel Pink: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Likes
Dislikes

atlantiscats Avatar
atlantiscats
Posted: 09.05.12, 08:33 AM
Hence.... Banksters & our political leaders.
CareyH Avatar
CareyH
Posted: 08.31.11, 09:34 PM
I find it sad that this logic is presented as some sort of revelation when it's really just common sense. It was always my belief that the elites sold the masses on the idea that money is the great motivator. Are the intellectuals sold on this as well?
John Zimmer Avatar
John Zimmer
Posted: 06.17.11, 11:29 PM
Dan Pink is great and he has hit upon something that is very important for us in this day and age. If you want to see the same talk delivered live and with a little more "octane", watch it on TED. And definitely read Pink's book "Drive" - http://wp.me/pwfa1-u7 - it is very insightful. Pink's blog - http://danpink.com - is also worth a read. Pink is very willing to engage in a dialogue with his readers. John Zimmer http://mannerofspeaking.org
CommonLink Avatar
CommonLink
Posted: 02.25.11, 12:20 PM
Chawil: Indeed! This is why I believe that we (particularly those of us who live in advanced nations) are slowly moving toward a post-Capitalistic society. Where the undending accrual of physical objects will become increasingly passe. In fact, part of the reason the U.S. and European economies have stagnated is because of product saturation. Most families, particularly in the middle class, have all the material comforts they need. There is just so much "stuff" that a person or a family -- for that matter -- can use and accrue. I'm also finding within myself that when I was making less money, working part-time and volunteering at different organizations everyday, I was actually happier than I am now. Don't get me wrong. I am grateful that I have obtained full-time employment with benefits, making considerably more than what I was making about five years ago. I must admit, however, that because I have less time to volunteer my energy and talents to the community and to my friends (many of whom are artists who occasionally need help with installations and such), I find I am not as happy, even though I had the same financial obligations now as I did then. And even though I am handling those obligations better now than then. It's the strangest thing.
CommonLink Avatar
CommonLink
Posted: 02.25.11, 12:06 PM
Robijn: I don't think that's the point, necessarily. I think what he's saying is that whenever the profit motive because ALL that it is about, it leads to breehces of ethics and personal responsibility. Now, it doesn't necessarily mean that the person is "dumber" or less apt. However, when there is no sense of purpose and meaning behind someone's motivation, and it becomes all about more money, bad things tend to happen.
T1Brit Avatar
T1Brit
Posted: 12.18.10, 05:12 PM
You don't need the graphics - they are just eye-candy. Listen to it again without watching. It is profoundly amazing.
GmoUnit Avatar
GmoUnit
Posted: 08.30.10, 03:32 PM
fora tv seems to be broken on my comp all the videos just seem to stay all loading nowadays
el_florino Avatar
el_florino
Posted: 08.06.10, 03:51 AM
Not a new fact, but nice presented and explained.
chawil Avatar
chawil
Posted: 07.13.10, 10:58 AM
Which is why co-operative movements have been so successful. In the UK one of the few financial institutions that didn't collapse during the recent 'crisis' was the Co-operative Bank because it was run, not to maximise profit, but to provide services and jobs for its members. When profit alone becomes the guiding motive in any society there are problems. People do anything for money. Search Michael Parenti and Noam Chomsky on google for a detailed analysis.
shawn775 Avatar
shawn775
Posted: 07.13.10, 05:53 AM
Nothing but a road map to co-opting our need for intrinsic fulfillment in order to make us more efficient cogs.

Live Now