Internet | New Media | Start-Ups | Personal Technology | Wireless | Computing | Engineering | CEOs

The Tyranny of E-mail: John Freeman

Likes
Dislikes
12,407 Views

Jann Avatar
Jann
Posted: 01.18.10, 06:08 AM
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnk860 poop. self serving and ignorant. Trying to invent some sort of 'addiction' is just stupid. I've been a fan of the internet before it existed - when bulletin boards and e-mail was all there was - and involvement was and is not an addiction, any more than reading books is an addiction. Self serving, making a problem of a choice. I cannot express sufficiently my disgust over such whining. Johnk860, obviously you don´t know what an addiction is. The definition of addiction is pretty simple: It is something that you can't stop doing. I know you are one of these guys: "If I want it - I could do it, but I don´t want to do it!" yeah right LOL
mbj Avatar
mbj
Posted: 01.17.10, 04:05 PM
It is always about a choice and judgment. If you have any common sense you will KNOW that each crap you come up is not worth sharing. It is simple as that. If you write a book about that, ... well I can only say ... that's a very academic behavior. Self-grandiose and full of crap.
Johnk860 Avatar
Johnk860
Posted: 11.17.09, 06:55 PM
lxlxlxl Avatar
lxlxlxl
Posted: 11.08.09, 06:19 AM
No matter how you feel right now about your personal email or computing skills, you still have to factor in how much the workplace will change in the next five years as people with wildly different technology habits (i.e. young people who have zero experience with anything other than email) enter the workplace. Your personal feelings about your email use will run into situations where other people communication skills will probably hinder what you do, if not worse. I personally have witnessed how email works within small and large corporate environment recently, and email/messaging has profound and completely misunderstood effects on how everyone communicates. The effect on minute to minute operations, the emotion behind how issues are presented, and the value and efficiency of the types of communication that was being sent and received were completely degraded in one environment i was recently in. It seemed very strange that my co-workers didn't realize or admit how out of control some of their email and email storms were on a daily basis, and they had no point of reference in order to understand that what they were particpating in was completely unnatural. I completely agree with the author's premise, and this is from someone who is 31. I was very young when BBS's and the old internet became readily available. The shift into broadband happened without any appreciation for the patience and know-how that was required to get online, and the coarseness and lack of humility and patience is absolutely obvious. Of course I personally think the keyword to focus on is patience. That's the key not only to understanding the weaknesses of email, but also digital culture in general. I know that my position might sound simplistic, but I don't think you need to engage the technology evangelists on their territory they have defined,
Antiks Avatar
Antiks
Posted: 11.08.09, 01:55 AM
Email is fine, but I'm not addicted. If anything I forget to check it when I need to. What I do hate is instant messaging and social media.
CVertex Avatar
CVertex
Posted: 11.04.09, 09:37 PM
that's me... I'm addicted to email...and fora.tv
CynSk8 Avatar
CynSk8
Posted: 11.04.09, 05:34 PM
I'm addicted to Facebook and Email, but I maintain email black out periods every night. I found it really hard to relate to the author's problems with email and technology. I think the author and the audience simply need to improve their technology skills.

Watch Now