Matt Walker: Secrets of the Sleeping Brain

Likes
Dislikes

Simonka Avatar
Simonka
Posted: 09.17.11, 03:54 PM
I really enjoyed this talk! I had no idea that the brain desires certain types of sleep at particular hours throughout the day. Very illuminative. But also a bummer that as we age we lose our ability for deep sleep.. which from what I understand, is when we store memories of what we've learned throughout the day. Before I realized that, I was anxious to try and get to bed earlier, but now I'm wondering what the point is (since I'm 47). Oh well. Such is life. Guess we should all just be happy when we age past 35yrs old. ;-)
jaygarthjr Avatar
jaygarthjr
Posted: 12.06.10, 04:19 PM
Most interesting ! Thank you Fora for having Prof Matt Walker . The entire lecture was extremely calming and encouraging .
astrotter Avatar
astrotter
Posted: 09.20.10, 05:56 PM
One of the most engaging and thought-provoking talks I've viewed on FORA.tv (kudos to the live audience for asking so many penetrating questions). The data are very compelling, but I wonder to what degree sleeping in a lab setting (much less inside a fMRI tube) skews the results? My sleep always feels qualitatively different when I'm in a strange environment, even if it's only a hotel room...
browser111 Avatar
browser111
Posted: 09.17.10, 04:17 PM
J.Krishnamurti in fact says that art and science are produced out of conflict. Getting a dreamless sleep and solving problems though are not so contradictory. A mind full of conflict -- personal and otherwise -- is not going to have the clarity to resolve whatever new problem (i.e. conflict) presents itself to challenge the mind. Resolving the problem ends the conflict. The meditation he recommends is not a technique like Buddhist mindfulness which he considers contributes to mental conflict. Like most meditation techniques mindfulness creates conflict by moving attention to an object in this case the breath. One set to thoughts is telling another set what to do. Krishnamurtis talked about "choice-less awareness" where you just observe the mind. The mind then naturally settles down.
gregp Avatar
gregp
Posted: 09.17.10, 07:39 AM
isn't conflict how all innovation, all knowledge occurs? why strive for stagnation and sterility?
ahmadtookhi Avatar
ahmadtookhi
Posted: 01.27.10, 06:38 PM
Awesome talk!!! i love foratv
marbi Avatar
marbi
Posted: 11.17.09, 01:38 AM
I also can't view the whole program. It stops after Introduction. Any ideas?
tstilz Avatar
tstilz
Posted: 11.15.09, 06:56 PM
My favorite fora video to date. Thank you Matt for the incredible presentation and thank you Fora.
Francisko Garcia Avatar
Francisko Garcia
Posted: 11.04.09, 03:13 AM
http://fora.tv/partner/Commonwealth_Club , AND AFTER THIS, CLIK ON THE PICTURE OF THE PERSON.
inmysystem Avatar