Religion | Gaming | Film | Fashion | Sex | Philosophy | Education | History | Arts | Music | Travel | Photography

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Buddhism: Gary Gach

Likes
Dislikes

Twilight Avatar
Twilight
Posted: 08.09.10, 12:55 PM
Thanks you for making it clear to me. And, Thanks you for your book. (I dont have it but i guss its good).
garygach Avatar
garygach
Posted: 06.20.10, 09:07 PM
thank you, twilight! these 4 en-nobling truths are indeed beautiful! nothing (000) to add ; everything to see for one's self, study, test, apply, understand, realize, transform, etc. actually, this four-foid sequence is so foundational — & potent — the first teaching of the Buddha, upon Enlightenment, so one could say they're his report as to How To — i'm posting another formulation/translation, these by Susan Piver, as posted this week at HuffingtonPost — Quote: 1) Life is suffering. (Doesn't mean "life sucks," by the way. More like, "life changes.") 2) Suffering is caused by attachment. (Wanting things to be other than they are.) 3) It is possible to stop suffering. (Phew.) 4) There is an eight-fold path to liberate yourself from suffering, which includes such things as Right Speech, Right Action and so on. their truth is revealed in one's life, and so their study is life long ... .:.
Twilight Avatar
Twilight
Posted: 06.10.10, 12:46 PM
Thank for for your beautiful post gary. nothing to add.
garygach Avatar
garygach
Posted: 06.07.10, 11:39 AM
hi, twilight. good question ! (none better) review: 1st noble truth : fact of suffering ("pain is inevitable, suffering is extra") we're mortal, we're bound to experience pain; driving the wrong way on a one-way street however is unnecessary, yet we find ourselves in such situations in our life. we're all given to stress, grief, etc. if 1st noble truth is symptom, 2nd is diagnosis: we suffer needlessly because we attach ourselves to what's impermanent, or interconnected, or without any intrinsic identity, or not present in the present moment ... and so build sandcastles along the shore thinking they're going to last and are upset when they're worn or wiped away it's not about not having desire, it's not that desire is "bad" — all living beings desire various things ... water, air, food, etc ... but to cling to our desires, or identify with them, (likes, dislikes, indifferences), there's a set-up for unnecessary suffering ... the way is easy for one who has no preferences ... experience the present moment without clinging ... awaken your mind without fixing it onto any thing ... this is short-hand ... many have taught about this eloquently ....more about it in chapter 7 of my humble book ... please let me know if you have further questions, comments, etc.
Twilight Avatar
Twilight
Posted: 06.03.10, 09:54 AM
Thank you for the teaching.. I did not get it all, sorry. Maybe you can explain a bit about the secone of the noble truths, please? magnus/
garygach Avatar
garygach
Posted: 05.09.10, 08:59 AM
expanding upon orge 's question i've posted an article : is buddhism a religion ? i hope this pleases
Norman Philip Avatar
Norman Philip
Posted: 09.08.09, 10:38 PM
prayer is a wishing path, meditation is a virtue.
Ed Finnerty Avatar
Ed Finnerty
Posted: 08.16.09, 03:04 AM
I'm currently in an exam period that is thankfully over soon and then I shall read Rene Descartes "Meditationes de prima philiosophia". Ever since I've read a short essay about his methods around the famous quote "cogito ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am) I wanted to explore the whole thing. I've ordered your second edition via Amazon and it should be there in a couple weeks, probably by the time I've finished exams and completed Descartes. I'll definetly try to remind myself to give you feedback once I'm reading it.
orge Avatar
orge
Posted: 08.15.09, 08:45 AM
Thank you for answering my question. You actually answered it very well. In my mind, Buddhism is not a religion (in the American sense lol). It is more of a description of what someone does to be complacent and happy within ones self. Actually I take that back....Buddhism is not a description...more of a title, an umbrella that keeps you out of the rain, but you can still enjoy the smells and view.
garygach Avatar
garygach
Posted: 08.15.09, 06:13 AM
sensing how people like yourself have heard my little talk on this great topic is indeed an honor. if it stirred a responsive chord, all the more so. and i'm happy to think you already "get" that the Way is not in a book, but is, as you say, a way of acting and thinking. and is about what already is. it's like Tao (pronounced dow ). have you ever heard of the Tao? it's some times translated as the Way. this is what some chinese sages (around the time of the Buddha) felt to be what is the unchanging essence of life ... and it's simply whatever's happening right now in the place ... if you do follow through on your intent, ed, when you finish (¿what?) your current reading, i'm always more than glad to hear and reply to any questions, comments, and criticism, during or after dipping into my humble tome. i hope it brings a smile ...