Naomi Tickle: You Can Read a Face Like a Book

Likes
Dislikes
15,879 Views

Starr Cline Avatar
Starr Cline
Posted: 10.12.10, 06:21 PM
I think the important thing to remember is that there are a great many factors involved in reading a person and Tickle isn't saying that it is a simple process. She oversimplifies factors in this presentation for the purposes of a short speech and introductory presentation. I deal with large numbers of people on a regular basis and found that many of her statements do, in fact, apply to varying degrees pretty clearly to people I know and interact with closely. The more dominant and pronounced the physical trait, the more clear the personality trait was to read. I don't take it all hook, line, and sinker, but I will use her insight as a tool to add to my bank of resources for sure and plan to do further research along these lines to confirm or deny her concept. This was DEFINITELY a simplified introduction to a line of thinking and not a fully developed, ready to implement, tool bank and one shouldn't take it or judge it as such.
quoc Avatar
quoc
Posted: 01.05.10, 02:11 PM
Well, her face analysis got me spot on anyway, hooey or not. I wonder what Derren Brown would say about this?
VeganThinker Avatar
VeganThinker
Posted: 10.30.09, 08:35 PM
That is not true! In my studies in Graduate school I found the research article that proved the prior theory of a gene for alcoholism was FALSE. Amazingly (or not!) that article received barely any media attn, whereas the original (incorrect) paper received a TON of media. This often happens in science reporting, I'm afraid, which leaves lay people without the entire, correct, understanding of a given issue. I so wish this were NOT the case! There is NO gene for alcoholism.
klabberius Avatar
klabberius
Posted: 08.21.09, 03:28 AM
Cant see how this is not just a new tabloid version of frenology. Its frightening to see that a serious site as fora.tv can post this pseudo science material in this format.
Tlockney Avatar
Tlockney
Posted: 04.17.09, 07:17 PM
I would like the 12 minutes I spent watching this video of my life back. She claims that people with less than average interocular distances, and people with beady eyes don't like to be interrupted, and don't like people turning in their assignments tardy. Well, who does like being interrupted, and who does like receiving work late? Beady eyes or not, I don't know anyone who welcomes interruption when they are concentrating on a task.
ladylisa555 Avatar
ladylisa555
Posted: 04.01.09, 11:18 AM
Interesting talk...leaving me with many questions, the main one being, "How can one be positive about traits that are so generic without substantial proof?" I know people who's eyes are close set and they are laid back. I know others who have visible eye-lids who don't rush me to the point or display impatience. Generalizations are scary. Until there is enough genetic, scientific and social proof, I won't be relying on this technique anytime soon. I think concentration on the physical aspects of a person's facial features leaves one wide open to exploitation by psychopaths whose physical features are never indicative of their pathological state. Nope, I'm not convinced, but thanks for the info, anyway!
rocketdog Avatar
rocketdog
Posted: 03.06.09, 12:52 PM
I got a palm reading once in New Orleans. The guy could tell I was skeptical and was really cool about it - explained that the palm itself didn't have anything to do with it, went over how he attempted to read my appearance and body language during the process to determine what he could about my personality, described how vaguely-worded initial statements would eventually lead to more specific ones, etc. Basically a ten-minute primer on how to filch some gullible sucker out of their money. Very interesting. I gave him a nice tip, which just shows how good the guy was at his job. Anyway, Ms. Tickle, I'm afraid, is not as good at this. I can't decide if she's straight-up crazy, knows she's full of BS, or is hovering somewhere in-between. Kind of a lousy program, IMO.
__________________
But words - words are not enough! - Klaus Kinski
Just Wandering Avatar
Just Wandering
Posted: 02.25.09, 12:22 PM
Perhaps this should be investigated via James Randi, Quackwatch or Skeptic (dot com)?
Just Wandering Avatar
Just Wandering
Posted: 02.25.09, 12:08 PM
It is true that alcoholism is genetic, so is bipolar disorder (some say 85% genetic), so is ADHD. I'm not aware of any association between the color of one's iris with any of these disorders.
MKrulwich Avatar
MKrulwich
Posted: 02.25.09, 11:41 AM
It may seem like hooey, and it could very well be. But I would suggest another alternative would be genetically linked traits. I have seen studies that make links between eye color and instances of alcohol abuse, etc.

Watch Now