marijuana | Healthcare | Gun Control | Foreign Policy | Muslim World | Terrorism | Capitol Hill | Social Issues

Rabbi Reuven Firestone: An Introduction to Islam for Jews

Likes
Dislikes

wyss Avatar
wyss
Posted: 07.29.10, 07:08 AM
It is reported, on the authority of Ayesha (R.A.) and Ibn Umar (R.A.) that the messenger of Allah (PBUH) said "The Angel Jibra'il (A.S.) counseled me so frequently regarding the rights of the neighbor that I feared, he too would be declared an heir." This Hadith shows that Angel Jibra'il (A.S.) brought commandments from Allah, concerning the rights of the neighbor so frequently and stressed the need to be kind and courteous to him with such force and regularity that the Holy Prophet (PBUH) thought that the neighbor also will be made an heir i.e. just as parents, children and near relatives inherit the property left by the deceased, he thought that the neighbor, too, will be given a share in it. The purpose of this Hadith is not merely to state a fact, but rather it is most effective way of highlighting the importance of the neighbor to the Muslims. It is narrated by Abu Shurayh (R.A.) that the Prophet (S.A.W.) said "Whoever believes in Allah and the final day (Day of Judgment) it is essential that he does not harm his neighbors and whoever believes in Allah and the final Day it is essential for him to entertain his guest with kindness and generosity and whoever believes in Allah and the Final Day it is essential that he speak what is good or otherwise remain silent." In another Hadith related by Abu Hurairah (R.A.) the Prophet (PBUH) said, "By Allah, he is not a true believer, By Allah, he is not a true believer, By Allah, he is not a true believer (three times). He was asked 'Who?" Upon which he replied, "The one whose neighbors do not feel secure from his mischief and evil. In yet another Hadith, related by Anas (R.A.), the Prophet (PBUH) said "He has not affirmed faith in me (i.e. he is not a true follower) who eats to his satisfaction and sleeps comfortably at night while his neighbor goes hungry - and he is aware of it." I don't find any contradictions between Jesus's teachings and Mohammed Peace be upon them
Smirdorf Avatar
Smirdorf
Posted: 04.09.10, 09:28 AM
To Permalink: Apparently, you did not read your bible properly or you are plying stupid!!! Let me refresh your memory with some violent passages from your own bible and from Jesus: Jesus Will Kill Children "Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works." (Revelation 2:22 -23) Please take back your comment because you lie when you say Jesus never incited or encouraged any sort of violence!!! BTW, if you want 100 more passages with violence from your own bible just ask me, I'll supply you with pleasure.
Smirdorf Avatar
Smirdorf
Posted: 04.09.10, 09:22 AM
Since you have not read your Bible, Let me help you to find what Jesus said about the Jews: Jesus calling the Jews Sons of the Devil John 8:44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Now, which is best? To be called pig because you made Moses's life to a hell or Son's of the devil who is the enemy of GOD? The Coran calls PIGS people who did not want to follow the teachings of Moses and Jesus and Mohammad. Jesus calls the Jews for Son's of the Devil because they did not want to follow his teachings. The Jews, in Talmud, calls Jesus for Bastard son of the whore Mary. If you want we can proceed in weeks to find 1000s of bad things in both Torah and Bible! But apparently, for you it is okay?!
Smirdorf Avatar
Smirdorf
Posted: 04.05.10, 04:15 AM
In the Bible Jesus called the Jews to be sons of the Devil and many other horrible things. Would that make our Lord Jesus to an Evil person? John 8:44 : You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. Once again, which is best? To be called pigg or son of the devil worshiping the enemy of God? Rabbi Firestone is trying to make you and me to look after simillarities instead of differences. Try it you might like it.
Smirdorf Avatar
Smirdorf
Posted: 04.05.10, 02:59 AM
Smirdorf Avatar
Smirdorf
Posted: 04.05.10, 02:58 AM
Of course I have. I am a Muslim. It is only stupid people who say the Quran calls Jews and Christians for pigs. You need to read the whole story to understand why. The pigs are those who did not want to accept Gods commandments when Moses tried with his best to make his people follow the straight path. Each time Moses left them to receive the messages from God, when he came back he found horrible things that those people had done. The Torah itself calls them worse than pigs. The Talmud calls Jesus "A Bastard son of a Whore with name Mary!" She was raped by a Roman soldier!" Is it better to call Jesus himself a Bastard son of a whore Mary? Does it sounds better than calling those who did not want to obey Moses and Jesus for pigs? Please give me a honest answer!!! All the books contain "names", insults and violence. Believe me; the Quran contains less of all these topics than the Bible or the Torah. I can prove it to you.
iretchoure Avatar
iretchoure
Posted: 04.02.10, 10:25 PM
have you read the quran?
Smirdorf Avatar
Smirdorf
Posted: 02.13.10, 05:07 AM
What Mr Firestone is talking about in the video was picked up from the Quran and as a Muslim I confirm and approve the quotes he presented. You, as a Jew or Christian, can reject it if that's more suitable for you. But the truth is in the book. You know as I do that both the Torah and the Bible are absolutely not free from violence even if you say the contrary. It takes one only few seconds after opening the books to find out. And so does the Quran and I admit it. I really don't understand how Christians can keep saying the Christianity is free from violence. To confirm that you will need to destroy all the story books about e.g. the crusades etc... and wipe out the memory of all the people who suffered from that. And don't forget what Adolf Hitler did in the name of the Christ and he was supported by the Vatican and your hollyness the Pope.
ingram Avatar
ingram
Posted: 12.09.08, 03:33 PM
A general comment from a Muslim observer
As a mainstream Muslim, I find Rabbi Firestone's discourse revolving around the historic relationship between the People of the book, Bani Israel in particular, and the early adherents of Islam pretty informative. This is a part of history that most Christian laymen seem totally uniformed about and about which Rabbi Firestone's coreligionists are expediently tacit. One of the most interesting points that he touched upon was the encroachment of nationalistic trends which have used these benevolent religions to perpetuate their political agendas. Islam is not so weak as to need a suicide bomber to advance its cause, we're just a little off balance for now due to corrupt, implanted, self-serving, ignorant leaders and opportunistic sects. From Ben Gorian to Yasser Arafat, the leaches of nationalism have always been hard at work--even sharing Nobel 'Piece' prizes for jobs well done. So-called Islamic suiciders are usually one of two kinds: 1) a nationalist adorning the robe of religion to seek revenge for humiliation who would just as well bomb me for being American as he would a Jew, although the latter would be his choice pick. 2) some poor young zealot lacking religious knowledge and guidance who cracked after seen his whole family cluster bombed while all his leaders can do is smile and dine with the perpetrators who did it to 'free him'. Jews have and still do live in Arab and Muslim countries--no one asked them to leave, they were tricked and bamboozled into leaving. They, in fact, estranged themselves by doing so. I'm an American with both Jews and Christians in my family make up. When we're together for any occasion, we're family, that's all. In conclusion, I would like to hear more lectures of this kind from Rabbi Firestone in the near future which I feel people such as my multi-religious family would find most enlightening.
em5750 Avatar
em5750
Posted: 12.05.08, 07:08 PM
Firestone should be ashamed of even considering himself "rabbi". This lecture is so misleading that every statement made by Firestone needs to be reproved with the Jewish perspective. Although there is a lot to comment on, I will only touch on one key point, which is the examination of a Prophet. The instructions of Moses, peace be upon him, are clear regarding the veracity of Prophethood, as explained in Deuteronomy 18. When the Jews of Arabia followed this Torah, and asked Meshuga for a sign, he declined. This was a clear indicate for every Jew that this is a false prophet.